South West Mafia

Go Back   South West Mafia > Divers' Toolbox > Wreck reports

Old 08-March-2007, 08:06 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

The Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond repute
Claverley

Location Plymouth
Wreck
Depth.68m max.
The photo shows the stern of Claverley. Below the awning frame can be seen the after steering position.It is not yet known if this is iron or brass. The ships name and port of registry is marked clearly on the stern. Possiblly some of these letters survive on the wreck.

Last edited by The Old Ruminator : 12-June-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 28-March-2007, 01:52 PM
Jonah

MixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond repute
Name(s): Claverley
Depth:
Type:wreck
Description:The Claverley was a 3,289 ton British steamship. She was 350 feet long. She sank in 1917 after being torpedoed by UB-38

Anything else:-

Last edited by The Old Ruminator : 16-October-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 17-September-2007, 12:48 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

The Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond repute
Claverley was hit 4 miles SE of Eddystone after taking a fix, however, she turned turtle and floated until sunk by shellfire from a British ship.

Old 04-October-2007, 08:01 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

At this moment exact position unknown.The old Claverley wreck is in fact Birgitte. Investigations ongoing.
Old 16-October-2007, 06:22 PM

Ron Young will become famous soon enough
Cool

Just a little more for the record:
CLAVERLEY (Official No.123839) was a 3,829-ton steel turret hulled steam cargo ship built and completed by W. Doxford & Sons, Ltd., at Pallion, Sunderland as Yard No.383 in June 1907 and launched as the CLAVERLEY on 12 April 1907 for Claverley Steam Shipping Co., Ltd., London, with E. Haslehust & Co., the managers
She measured: 350.1 x 50.1 and was powered by a 3-cyl triple expansion steam engine
In 1908 the new owners were Sandhill Shipping Co., Ltd., London (Newcastle) with B. J. Sutherland & Co., the managers
In 1911 she was sold to Sutherland S.S. Co., Ltd., Newcastle with A. M. Sutherland the managers.

She was torpedoed and sunk by UB 38, on 20 August 1917, 4 miles SE of the Eddystone, while voyaging from the Tyne to Genoa, with coal

Cheers Ron
Old 16-October-2007, 06:31 PM

Just to remember the men who died on the ship:
ISMAIL MUHA MMAD ZAFAR Fireman MM
KENT, George Lloyd Apprentice MM
RUKNUDDIN SHARAFUDDIN Fireman MM
SCHIER, Herman Carl 3rd Engineer MM
SHAIKH ABDULLAH SHAIKH IBRAHIM Fireman MM
SHAIKH AHMAD SHAIKH Ali Oihnan MM
SHAIKH AHMAD SHAMSUDDIN Fireman MM
SHAIKH LBRAHIM SHAIKH AMLR Trimmer MM
SHAIKH ISMALL HASAN SHAIKH Fireman MM
USMAN KAMALUDDIN Trimmer MM

Cheers Ron
Old 18-October-2007, 10:02 AM
SWM Wreck Guru

Is this Claverley ?

The best candidate to date.
See trip report The best viz ive had on a UK dive
Oct 2007
Old 18-October-2007, 07:47 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

Damn I am as blind as a bat ! You can see the turret deck in this stern view. Will now need to recheck the stern on this wreck .

Turret deck ship.

Old 18-October-2007, 08:26 PM
Jonah

MixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond reputeMixedUp has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsettediving View Post
Damn I am as blind as a bat ! You can see the turret deck in this stern view. Will now need to recheck the stern on this wreck .
OK folks let's take a really wild guess where the next midweek TOSSERS trip is going on Nov 21st. Spaces still available folks.

Steve
Old 18-October-2007, 08:33 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

About that euthanasia Steve !

Old 18-October-2007, 11:27 PM
Wing

Mdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond reputeMdemon has a reputation beyond repute
Against the wreck we dived being the Claverly, on the stern were several "windows" - as if it were an ancient wooden wreck.

I saw two large winch systems on the wreck, spread out. One is definitely visible on the model.

I also saw weird-shaped anchors. At the time I thought nothing of them, but the model does show the same.

Does this help?

Old 19-October-2007, 12:50 PM

Fantastic model, looks like a ship builders model

Ron
Old 16-July-2008, 10:51 AM
SWM Wreck Guru

See discussion at-

http://www.southwestmafia.com/forums...ed=1#post41544
Old 22-November-2008, 10:31 PM
Missed.

SteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biased
Old 23-November-2008, 11:35 AM
SWM Wreck Guru

Fantastic photo Steve. You can really see the turret hull design.We still need to recheck the wreck I mention.

Now if you are really clever can you plot the drift of the upturned wreck in the time after the attack. Have a look at Maw for details. East or West would help.
Old 23-November-2008, 12:06 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

Tried to tweak up the bow section to look at the plating and hawse as both are evident on the wreck.

Old 26-November-2008, 08:19 PM
Missed.

SteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biased
Quote:
Fantastic photo Steve. You can really see the turret hull design.We still need to recheck the wreck I mention.

Now if you are really clever can you plot the drift of the upturned wreck in the time after the attack. Have a look at Maw for details. East or West would help.

I've used the position given in Maw as a baseline. I haven't got a Plymouth chart with me and have no idea where the suspected Claverley might be.

She was attacked at 2am and the last info on a time scale is 9:45 am, but i suspect she was deliberately sunk sometime after after this.

I'd say she was approximately 1 mile ESE of her attack position at 10am. If she was sunk at 11.59 am, she would have been no further than 2 miles WSW of her attack position and drifting in a generally Westerly direction until late afternoon, but still no further than 5 miles from the original attack position.. . . .

Old 27-November-2008, 12:59 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

Well it does look like you have shot down theory no 1 Steve but I do have another in mind.
In 2003 Mike Ades et al dived a large inverted wreck ( note
inverted ) standing 7m high.They found no clue to the vessels identity.
Ive plotted Steves info on the chart and the pm Westerly drift is heading nicely towards this wreck ( Tossers no 80 ).Put it on the list Ash but dont tell 'em its upsidedown. If its a turret deck hull it should be obvious.
Old 27-November-2008, 08:29 PM

numbnuts is a splendid one to beholdnumbnuts is a splendid one to beholdnumbnuts is a splendid one to beholdnumbnuts is a splendid one to beholdnumbnuts is a splendid one to beholdnumbnuts is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Well it does look like you have shot down theory no 1 Steve but I do have another in mind.
In 2003 Mike Ades et al dived a large inverted wreck ( note
inverted ) standing 7m high.They found no clue to the vessels identity.
Ive plotted Steves info on the chart and the pm Westerly drift is heading nicely towards this wreck ( Tossers no 80 ).Put it on the list Ash but dont tell 'em its upsidedown. If its a turret deck hull it should be obvious.
Do you have the UKHO number?
Old 27-November-2008, 08:35 PM
Jonah