South West Mafia

Go Back   South West Mafia > Divers' Toolbox > Wreck reports

Old 12-August-2007, 11:11 AM
SWM Wreck Guru

The Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond repute
Branlebas

Well this is not a wreck report yet but I hope one day it will be .No point now in trying to keep this quiet but Branlebas is Plymouths last great WW2 Naval mystery.
Leigh Bishop had a go at finding her a few years back and our recent 80m dive on the sailing ship was purely in search of this ship.
As a class these French torpedo boats were overweight and unstable, designed primarily for work in the Med.Captured by the British in July 1940 she foundered in a storm on Dec 14 1940 some 25 miles off Eddystone.

Branlebas.

La Melpomene Torpedo Boat as Class.

We will keep looking out there. Watch this space !
Old 12-August-2007, 08:30 PM
Missed.

SteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biased
from The Times: Saturday, November 11th 1933.

Old 12-August-2007, 10:56 PM
Missed.

SteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biasedSteveC User is FABBALLAS, GORGEOUS and can only be HELENM!!! :) - not than I'm biased
Old 16-November-2007, 05:50 PM

grovesy22 is on a distinguished road
more info

hi my great grandad was on the Branlebas (david groves) please could you tell me any more info that you got thanks so much
Old 16-November-2007, 07:16 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

The Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old Ruminator has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesy22 View Post
hi my great grandad was on the Branlebas (david groves) please could you tell me any more info that you got thanks so much
Hi
Branlebas will be a priority project for next year.( 2008 ). As far as I know she has not been found yet and is likely to be a little bit further offshore than thought.I have narrowed the search to about five likely wrecks. One of these looks promising. It is very deep and a long way out but given the right conditions we will go there next Summer and publish any findings on this forum.
Was your great grandad lost on the ship ?
Old 17-November-2007, 01:47 PM

grovesy22 is on a distinguished road
yes he was on there when it went down. My grandad has got the full crew list of ever one who was on board at the time.
Old 12-February-2008, 08:04 PM
SWM Wreck Guru

Keeping this current. The French and British reports on the Shipwreck Index database give the loss position as 25 miles SSE Eddystone. We are still on for this year.
Old 24-April-2008, 11:59 PM
Missed.

came across these whilst looking for some other ships plans:

Old 25-April-2008, 12:00 AM
Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:00 AM
Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:01 AM
Missed.

Missed.

Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:02 AM
Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:02 AM
Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:03 AM
Missed.

Old 25-April-2008, 12:03 AM
Missed.

Old 10-November-2008, 10:27 PM

paulwhitfield is on a distinguished road
Branlebas

Hi every one. My uncle able seaman Ernest Box jx140444 was also on the Branlebas when it broke in half off the Lizard on a west bound convoy.
According to the MOD there were 99 on board with 3 survivors. He was married to my aunt for 2 weeks when he was called away in july 1940 to crew this ship. She never saw him again and never remarried always thinking he would come back one day. Does anyone know who the captain was?
Old 11-November-2008, 10:01 AM
SWM Wreck Guru

Thanks for that Paul.I hadnt heard the ship broke in half although that was the most likely scenario.HMS Delight is in the same state although both halves have remained together.Most sources quote Eddystone not Lizard so we hope thats the area she is in.2008 was rotten.We only got to one offshore wreck ( Woodburn ). Will try harder next year ! I think Grovesy ( Above ) has a crew list.It should also be on the internet somewhere.
Old 12-November-2008, 11:14 PM

jstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud ofjstop has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsettediving View Post
Hi
Branlebas will be a priority project for next year.( 2008 ). As far as I know she has not been found yet and is likely to be a little bit further offshore than thought.I have narrowed the search to about five likely wrecks. One of these looks promising. It is very deep and a long way out but given the right conditions we will go there next Summer and publish any findings on this forum.
We need to stop being and get out to the mark you have. Hopefully on Ash's first week.

www.brightonboat.co.uk